Site Activity
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Most Recent Images
Site Contributions
Site Contributions

Upcoming Crickhollow Events!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rosalie Rumble's Crickhollow Music Forum Index -> Shirefest Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosalie Rumble
Admin

re: Learning more about our bands

The tentative schedule will be coming out very soon, but I need to confirm a couple of things first.  It looks like we will be able to slot all of you into your preferred hours!

But for now, it would be nice to put together some more details about our bands in the promotional materials and introductions.  I'd appreciate it if you would either answer some of these questions at your convenience or write a little blurb that need not include answers to these questions.

We have a few brand new bands, so I understand that you won't have an answer for a few of these.  And I know some of our longstanding bands have answered these sorts of questions quite a few times before, and I know (or *think* I know) the answers for some of your bands.  But I'll be glad to learn more about all of you.

---

What's the story behind your band's founding?  

How did your band get its name?

How did your members meet one another?

How would you describe your band's music?

How do you decide which songs to play?

Do you have a signature song?

What's the highlight of your band's time together?

Do you have any embarrassing stories about a time when things didn't go so well?

Does your band play a regular concert?  If so, when and where?

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed or links to any performances?

What's the one thing we should know about your band above all else?

Is there anything else you'd like to mention?

re: Re: Learning more about our bands

Our Orchestra was founded my Forte Maestro on New Years Day 2014. He wanted to be able to play some classical music which required a large number of musicians. Forte is MIA, last we heard he wandered south and may have been eaten by a huge creature! 

Forte chose the name for the Orchestra, he wanted to create a calm mystical feel. Classical music in the starlight encompasses the feel of what we are trying to achieve. I was all for calling us "The Landroval Orchestra" but I feel our name is more suited to visiting other servers.

We have met through kinships, friendships and musical events. A good TSO performance will generate some new applications.

We play high quality classical music. Sometimes we bring out the Big Band to play Jazz and Swing.

I have a selection process that I use to choose which pieces to play. With both the Full and Half TSO my ears have the deciding vote. I like to choose transcriptions and arrangements from different people. Quality is the deciding factor. The Full TSO's pieces sample rate needs to be considered, too many notes in the arrangement will result in LOTRO cutting notes in the game. Sadly some wonderful pieces cannot be played due to the restrictions of the game itself.

No but we do have a wonderful warm up piece by Brandlaf!

Our highlight is after we successfully sync a 24 part piece, everyone listens to the music at a rehearsal and then offers an opinion. After this we generally chit chat in /raid while enjoying the music. We talk about music and food mostly.

Do you have any embarrassing stories about a time when things didn't go so well?

Not embarrassing as such but with so many people it is impossible to avoid the odd mishap. The hardest part of TSO is gathering everyone in the same spot at the same time.

We play a seasonal concert. Spring, Summer and Yule. At a point in the future I (Lilikate) will be looking for a weekly slot to schedule my musical activities. 

We can be found at starlightorchestra.guildlaunch.com

We have achieved something that is unique to this game. Our large classical pieces take a lot of work to arrange and transcribe. To hear these played in LOTRO is amazing. We are also a hub of musical talent. We have members from different kins, different bands, different servers and many different musical styles and approaches. We have members from both US and UK servers as well as our French and German Servers. We are a community project, and very much a community success.

The TSO has three brances at the moment: We have a TSO Big Band-Half TSO and the Full Orchestra. Be sure to come and listen to a performance soon! What better time to come and listen than Crickhollow's Shirefest Event!

The Grand Band of the Enemies of Mordor (or The Grand Band of the EoM)

As a musician in real life, I (band leader Elenjinor) brought up the idea of a kin band to our kin leader, who thought it was a great idea, so here we are now!

We named it in honor of our great kinship :)

Funny how kin members know kin members isn't it? ;)

We play lots of different kinds of music!

Requests by fellow kinnies so far

Fields of Gold, Sting

Playing before and after some of our best Raid Nights

We're still fairly young, so not yet!

Not yet, but we are planning on it!

We try to share our stuff to our kinship facebook page

We love taking requests, and love anyone who is interested in playing with us!

That should be it! We hope you enjoy our music!

Beorhere

re: Firebrands

We will let you know five minutes before out slotted time.   Seeds and Stems kin started a band a year or so ago but membership changes and scheduling made it difficult to organize.  Firebrands members are all folks from several kins who gather to play music for the fun of it and have never played as an entire group together till now.  

A few of us we were sitting around playing country western tunes on horseback one evening and a nice hunter built us a fire..  By coincidence, we were all wearing red and the name popped up, like the flame in front of us, our groups pop up, warm the spirit and are gone till the next time.

Easy..someone starts playing and asks ''Hey care to join me''  Before long we have a band of 2 to 9  members and 4 hours later we look around and say ''Is it really that late?''

Hmmm ...a mural  done by 16 chimpanzees with  spray paint  of every color of Sherwin WIlliams at their disposal.  

Unlike our normal sessions, this process was not very diplomatic.  There were a couple of requests by members but mostly picked by me (Beorhere).  These are songs are similar to those we like to play and perhaps have not been heard in Middle Earth before.  That was the goal.

It would be a capital ''X'' if we did.

Every time we play its a highlight.  Everyone gets to hear something they want to hear.  Music should be fun and that's always the goal. 

Probably after this concert....

No, but we play a heck of an irregular one.  Like the fire we are named after we may pop up anywhere.

We use Seeds And Stems Website as our common link right now.  http://seedsandstems.guildlaunch.com/

We have members from 4 US time zones (still working on Alaska and Hawaii), U. K. Europe, Australia, and recently from China.  Finding common times to play as a large group is hard but finding common times to play together is easy.

Those who come for the fun of it should not be disappointed. All other bets are off.

Our first concert was in January 2012. I founded the band to allow the European players an outlet for performance and to provide entertainment for the European and US afternoon players (we play at 3pm Eastern). At that time, there was a growing European population on Landroval; it has now reached the point where the majority of regularly performing bands have European performers.

Painfully! I went through various names and we very nearly went with a pie related name (I shudder to recall it now). Eventually I came up with Andune to reflect our afternoon/early evening timeslots and Ensemble to just sound, well, posh. Of course, I didn't know at the time that there was a band called Andunie lol.

We are all kin members of The Lonely Mountain Band and are one of the 3 official LMB bands.

Pretty much anything really. We started with a strong Traditional background of Celtic/Breton/ French Canadian tunes but expanded into everything. Our guilty pleasure is cheesy 60s pop - such great melodies! Our only philosophy is, is the audience dancing and enjoying themselves?

I decide the setlist though we have many transcribers/writers. I might include some new submissions plus a few tunes that we haven't played for a while (I'm sad enough to keep a spreadsheet with dates). Other times, we might have a themed set like Food and Drink or The Shire - hmm, actually that is probably the same thing!

A few now. Originally, it was Magical World by Blackmore's Night. To that, we could add some encore favourites like Walking On Sunshine and the Alestorm set like Rum and Keelhauled. We had a poll recently for most popular song and to our surprise it was Country Roads so I guess that is a signature one too.

I suppose most of the band would say performing at Weatherstock. Whilst that was great, I especially enjoyed our recent Rockfest concert. I'm hyper critical normally but that was an outstanding set!

Only every concert! It's not an Andune concert without gremlins, dropped instruments, vanishing band members and playing cowbell parts on the bagpipe. It's even possible that we have deliberately messed up just for a laugh, just saying.

Every Sunday at 3pm Eastern on Landroval. Usually at the Bree Stage. We must be over 200 concerts now.

Not as such though if you search Youtube or Twitch (or Google) you will find footage of us.

We work for pie and other quality baked goods.

The band members! Too many have passed through the ranks to name individually but all have been wonderful and obey Geoffroi's orders without argument or insult - hahahaha

What the critics said 

I only came because Madame Celestines was being disinfected but, frankly, that might have been more fun

I was surprised to see that they have learned a second chord

Newly introduced to their instruments but, sadly not to each other, The Anduners performed with more enthusiasm than their audience showed

On the plus side, they have some hot chicks in the band and less hobbits than is usual!

What is the point of Geoffroi? Little talent or personality. Perhaps I should lend him my Rose Rockstar outfit?

They always advertise fine music guaranteed but I've never got my money back

Last edited by Keli on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Bruzo

That's a bit complicated in our case. It started of as a loose group of people who would meet every now and then to have jam sessions together. At one of those jam sessions ... . Actually we have a song about what happened then. We typically play that song at the beginning of our shows. So if you're interested, come and listen :)

When we decided to apply for the weatherstock event for the first time we concluded that we need a proper name - and that name (a rock and a hard place) seemed suited. A little bit ashamed I have to admit that we used names like : POL (playing out loud) and "lords and ladies of the strings" - usually someone in the audience would yell "tangas" then - Hey we were young and needed the money :)

Usually through music, either someone heard us playing and was interested or we saw ppl playing music and talked to them.

One of our members came up with this wonderfull expression: eclectic. We play anything as long as we like it. That sometimes leads to weird combinations of music - but the wonderfull thing about it is, that we're not limiting ourselves in any way.

For concerts our bandleader sets up a list, trying to meet the interest of all the bandmembers (which may or may not be successfull). In our regular friday shows we don't play with a fixed playlist - all bandmembers can tell what they want to hear and we try to accomodate all those wishes, ofc the audience can ask us as well.

We have our opening song telling the story of the beginning of our band (I copied the concept of an introduction song from the Meisterbarden) and by now there is a couple of songs that are known. But I'm not sure that any of those qualifies as a real signature song.

The simple answer would be winning the free peoples choice award this year on weatherstock - but to me it's our first show in front of a bigger audience last year in the weatherstock preconcert series. We were all pretty nervous. We had some quarrels inside the band before we went on the stage. Then we were on the stage and the organisers were late, we didn't know if we should start or wait. All in all it seemed like it would be a disaster of an evening. But eventually when we started playing all that was forgotten and we had a wonderfull evening - they almost had to kick us from the stage because we wouldn't stop playing.

That's a nasty question - there was plenty of occasions when things didn't go well - not really embarrassingly though.

Fridays, 4pm, Dwarrowdelf, Bree West-Stables.

http://rockandahardplace.weebly.com/

Hehe to say it with the words of John Miles:

Music was our first love, and it will be our last. Music of the future and music of the past. To live without our music would be impossible to do. In this world of troubles, our music pulls us through.

Bibliocat
Admin

Our band, Green Hill Country, is an offshoot of Breakfast Club.  Many months ago, Daffin mentioned the idea of making a separate band because we were getting so large. I don't think anyone really wanted to do that because we enjoy our time together so much, so the idea just didn't go anywhere.

However, I kept it in the back of my mind and after hearing a couple of country solos by visitors to Bread and Jam one night, it seemed that there might be a niche for a country/bluegrass band. I assigned Gwencara to take charge of it so that Larksong could retain her identity as a Breakfast Club member. The idea was to make it distinct from Breakfast Club: just Hobbits, a limit of 5 members, more closely-coordinated outfits, and a focus on a definite type of music. I'd like to see us do performances with featured solos and duets in addition to the usual full group. I hope it will be a group that engages the audience in chat and has a wonderful sense of playfulness.

Green Hill Country seemed just right: it's the name of a beautiful area in the Shire, it references the type of music, and it also reflects our lovely green outfits.

We are, with one exception, alts of Breakfast Club members, so we've known each other in that context for up to three years. However, we're also role-players at heart, so Gwen and Thaelo and Qiardo, etc., are ostensibly just getting to know each other. Gwen has been a hostess at Sunday morning Elevenses for quite a while now. She doesn't bump her head on the ceiling like Lark does.

It's a mix of country/bluegrass/Cajun, all original transcriptions by our members. We're putting a tunebook together from scratch. The band is limited to 5 members, so that, in turn, presents its own challenges as we work on songs.

We'll have a set list made by Gwen for Shirefest, but I think we'll just play as we go if we attend less formal events.

Larksong is working on one--I sure hope we will have it by Shirefest!

I'll be happy to update after we actually get to spend some time together. We're THAT new! Our alter egos, of course, love Bread and Jam Sessions and Elevenses and the Big One: Weatherstock.

Not yet, but I can guarantee there will be plenty.  I could mention the fact that Larksong did a few too many songs the first week, and corrected all the typos and transcription errors and made sure the nicely cleaned-up files were posted on our music forum for the others to download--but forgot to put the corrected versions in her own Songbook so that she came to our one and only practice so far with a bunch of files that were not quite right--but I won't go there. 

Not yet. But there's a Gwen-in-waiting to hop on Landroval just in case we become famous. Or even just tolerated.

Nope. But some day!

We're Hobbits. No matter what we do, it's cute. Don't judge us too harshly.

I am really excited that Shirefest is allowing us to welcome lots of visitors to Crickhollow! I hope that many will learn what a warm and welcoming place it is, and, well--y'all come back now, hear?

Gwencara, Thaelo, and Cheggra at Bread and Jam with big sis Larksong:

Larksong, Gwen, Thaelo and Cheggra at Bread & Jam

2 Cypress Road, Tol Faen, Belfalas Homesteads
Do drop in. The doors are always open!

Willowing, Grimbear, Rosewynda, Marewyng, Ingrid, Hollydell, Laurelberry,
Merieloran, Gadrian, Linhaewen, Berangar, Athdan, Faerstar (4 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn),
Olangrim (1 Waterbank Road, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn), Gwencara (1 Brookbank Street, Greyheight, Shire),
Mossley (of the Frogmorton Middleworths), and Larksong of Crickhollow
Larkfeather, Faerstar and Olangrim of Landroval

Breakfast: the best meals of the day.
Daffin
Admin

When people first came t' Crickhollow, they noticed that most everywhere they went, they heard music playin! No one knew who (or what) was makin it, but everyone agreed 'twas some o' th' sweetest music they'd ever heard. Then one day someone finally nosed around in th' wine cellar o' th' Bird an Baby Inn, an low an beholden, there was a band down there back behind th' tuns playin all o' that music!

... I dunno if that's how it started or not, but y' asked fer a story, an that's a good one! =)

Seems it was a choice b'tween "Breakfast Club" an "Granfalloons o' th' Billious Border Bog"... which would YE have picked?

Mostly in drinkin establishments.

Easier on th' ears than six cats fightin in a sack.

There's a democratic process in place, which I totally ignore =)

We will, soon as we learn how t' write.

Throwin people that made mistakes into th' nearest river or fountain.

Do y' have a few hours?

If yer feelin up to it, we gather near th' south gate o' Bree every Saturday usually just b'fore th' 1:00 hour, an play fer whoever's got th' fortitude t' take it. An on th' first Saturday o' each month, we go t' Landroval an inflict ourselfs on th' folks there, same time, same place.

Lessee... We keep all o' our songs at a secret location, BreakfastMusic.proboards.com, which we're sworn never t' reveal. But if ye'd like t' see some other infermation, or a few videos, there's also http://breakfastclubcrickhollow.blogspot.com which is all Larksong's fault.

Most o' th' band washes at least once a week.

Nope.

Last edited by Daffin on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Characters: Dallofin Bolderbrook, Foxfern Gullywash, Erriwende Baelwealda, Celbrethion Hathollos, Futhork Stonescriber, Garaeth Raedstan, Lisbit Honeymeade, Priyzgard, Thaelo Thistledown, Naurfin (On Crickhollow)

Dallofin Bolderbrook, Folbri Fairbeard, Kheshli (on Landroval) 

Dallofin, Delphinea (on Laurelin)

Dallofin, Leidi (on Sirannon)

Rules is nothin more than th' Cliff's Notes of Experience.
Stymied

The Rolling Kegs started out as a military band, with the idea of having lots of brass arrangements, and things to march along to.  It was an in-house endeavour by some dwarrows in the dwarven army called Durin's Folk.  It started out as the Bearded Bards, but times and members changed, and it slowly dwindled into five songs and two active members.  When I joined I began to add a few songs, a little fire, and soon new members came along for the fun, and added their own contributions as well.  It's an independent force of its own now!

((Supposedly an early idea was be the Beards to start with, a bit like the Beatles, but the band voted for a name more like the Rolling Stones.  It's just as well: there's a real band out there called the Beards writing hairy songs.))

((Most of our band members met through the dwarf RP community, and also the kinship, Durin's Folk.  Connections were also made through the musical community on Laurelin, as well as exposure at the weekly hobbit dance night, Green Dragon Friday, where dwarves are very welcome.))

Our only theme is dwarven, which in reality is quite eclectic.  Dwarves like those solemn moving anthems, as well as the rollicking dance numbers, but it's not limited to those.  Humour or songs about mountains are a plus.

((I personally try to include Klezmer and Ska, because they're so energetic and lend themselves to LotRO music.  For dwarven weddings I try to go with traditional Jewish music, in keeping with Tolkien's original inspiration for his dwarves, and add some original Neo-Khuzdul lyrics (leaning on the scholarship of another member, who is ace at Khuzdul).  There are a number of original tunes, a number of original covers (original midis, not original tunes), and a goodly helping of original arrangements that we pair with comical or tear-jerker lyrics of our own.))

We decide as a band whenever possible what the playlist will be, or if time is short, we delegate to a smaller team.  The job gets done!

A lasting favourite is our 'song for eating pies to', an original composition about true dwarven meat pies: Oh Crumbs!.

The various dwarrow weddings we've played for, I think.  Weatherstock can't really compare to them, at least for me, but that was also fun.

Ah, I can't tell you how many times I've stood in front of a room full of hobbits in utter dead air – waiting for one of our beards to cue, while he was chatting to ladies on the side, and not paying attention to the band.  Those hobbits are HUNGRY (for music)!  It's dangerous to keep them waiting like that!

Not at the moment.  We often show up at Ales and Tales on Thursdays (Laurelin), or Green Dragon Friday, but the summer has made things less regular.

((We have a website, where I've put some tutorials on how to craft well-made dwarven sheet music, if anyone's interested: http://w11.zetaboards.com/The_Rolling_Kegs/index/

And we have a page on the Laurelin Archives: an on-line newspaper as well as fan-fiction archive, RP kinship index, and home of much of the Laurelin RP community:  http://www.laurelinarchives.org/node/19250  ))

All dwarves look alike to you longshanks and hobbits, even the ladies.  We're not technically a boy-band, but all our beards are lustrous and beautiful!

May Mahal keep your axe sharp and your beard long!

Carthien

...sorry for the late reply but here is some things you'd like to know about The Crazy Ladies of the Forest

Warm Regards,

Carthien Merilin

When I came to Celondim the first thing I did is buy a lute from my last copper. I still play that lute *smiles* I've been gathering songs for years and usually played indoors with my next of kin. When I met other Ladies with the same sympathy for music, things started to come out in the public.

We sympathize with 'crazy people', the outsiders of society, who are often wonderfull people. 'Crazy ladies in a forest' could be such people in our world. Besides we love Forests!

Music that touches the Heart, be it it makes you think, hide a tear, dance or smile!

See above. Furthermore: songs should fit our base setup lute-harp-theorbo-drums. There are exceptions, and a lot of discussions about those exceptions *grins*

Our signature song is 'Song for a Forest' and we usually start our performances with it. 

We were very happy to have a spot on the Rockfest in Duillond, and even more happy that all went well and people were enthusiastic about our performance!

Yes, and too embarrassing to share *blushes*

We have setup a node on the Laurelin Archives where we will post planned performances. See http://laurelinarchives.org/node/25697
Our performance at the Rockfest can be seen here: http://www.twitch.tv/barafunda/b/542936357

Our slogan: Come and dance, bring your Heart!

WeeTodd Jones

We were upset with the way things were going one particular day so we said "What the hell?...Let's form a band and call it DisEnchanted!"

Like I said...We weren't too happy...we felt quite disenchanted actually...It's not Rocket Science folks!

I saw this sweet little Hobbit lass with a truly rockin' body hanging out in the Prancing Pony. I offered to buy her an ale and she accepted. Both of our hearts went pitter-pat and we moved in together...We won the drummer in a game of Dwarven Ale Pong. He's a good sort but not too bright... 

Hmmm...basically it's a hodgepodge of various eclectic and diverse musical styles intertwined into a virtual cornucopia of cacophonous splendor...

We flip a coin...or listen to the voices...

I would think that would be "Smokin'" by Boston...although we're pretty sweet on "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" by Cher

The highlight would have to be playing with our wonderful friends from Landroval "Under a Sunlit Sky" at Weatherstock. Hoping that someday we may be able to play as ourselves after it's determined that 3 people can actually make good music and they lift that 4 person minimum band rule for Weatherstock summit participation...

We had a guest spot at an Abby's concert with friends and totally flubbed the first couple songs due to Songbook issues...We try hard for zero mistakes...

Due to time constraints we do not schedule a regular venue so we instead pop up here and there when given a chance to play. 

Nothing of our own, although there is footage of us playing at Rockfest on Landroval server posted to Zedrock's Twitch account.

That we are in it because we love the Lotro music scene and all the fine people involved. It's a very special group of people that we are proud to belong to. 

Although we started on Crickhollow and moved to Landroval do not be surprised if you see or hear of us on Laurelin and Brandywine too as we now are able to travel abroad with possibly more servers coming in the future as time permits.

Barkgrim

re: The Heartbeaters

-I'm addicted to reggae music.I used to be play in different bands.They were all good and nice.But somehow i'm not satisfied with the music we were making.I been seeking something different.I wanted to be on the right side.An idea popped up.Why dont we make a dwarven based reggae band? Then I shared my idea with my friends and surprisingly , they were very fond of reggae music as well.Voila! The Heartbeaters ready for action!

-Its actually funny story.First we've been thinking about Barkgrim(Flameturg) and the Dwalers - corresponding with Bob Marley and the Wailers and referring to Ronald Dwale.Roots Music, Soldiers of Mahal Army, Inner Cave etc.Then we decided to use KurduKurdâlh, which means The Heartbeaters.We all liked it, perhaps we all liked drums and reggae beat *laugh*. Well, who knows...

-Mosty reggae style with dwarven history in it.We also have some emotional songs.Well we are dwarven band, we dwarves have some bitter story behind our beards.But yes, mostly reggae and drums.Our priority is dwarven themed songs.

-We decide as band and pick the songs we love.

-All of our songs are special and unique.But I would choose ''Durin's Day'' song as our signature song.

-We were peforming at Armour Parade event.Then I accidently queued with my pibgorn instead of clarinet.It was funny we all laughed and liked the new pibgorn part and now we are using pibgorn for that song *giggle* 

-We are all in holiday session.Sooo, nope.

-No, we are using Laurelin Archives, gmail system and skype.

-We dwarves are not short, we are just about the right sizes!

-I think a dwarf with locks is awesome.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rosalie Rumble's Crickhollow Music Forum Index -> Shirefest Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: