Site Activity
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Most Recent Images
Site Contributions
Site Contributions

Upcoming Crickhollow Events!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rosalie Rumble's Crickhollow Music Forum Index -> Shirefest Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhryss

re: Department of Harmony and Song

What's the story behind your band's founding?

We have a wonderful story about the band's origins written by a member of our kin:

A long, long time ago, brave adventurers met while taking Hobbits to Isengard and evacuating lost Dwarves from the mines of Moria. Someone suggested, "Friends, we have grown close as kin through these ordeals. Shall we not continue to adventure together?" And they did! Thus the Department of Holbyt Security was born.

Some time later, several of them were sitting by the fire in their large house in the Delving Fields, playing music for each other. Someone suggested, "Friends, we have played these tunes for each other for some time. Shall we not form a band and play for the world?" And they did! Thus the Department of Harmony and Song was born.

And they have been having the grandest time playing music for the finest audiences in the world ever since!

How did your band get its name?

We wanted to use the initials DHS so everybody suggested possibilities and we voted. Department of Harmony and Song won.

How did your members meet one another?

Most of us originally met during former Community Manager Sapience's Take the Hobbit to Isengard and S.H.I.E.L.D. runs. We enjoyed the interaction so much we decided to create an in-game kinship so we could play the game together. The band was born after we spent 4 or 5 hours playing music for each other at our first New Year's Party.

How would you describe your band's music?

Eclectic. We have members from the U.S., Britain, Sweden, and Finland, with ages ranging from around 20 to 60+, so our musical tastes are far-reaching and every member of the band creates songs for us to play.

How do you decide which songs to play?

Before a concert, I post an 'assignment' for band members - to create lists of the songs they want to play that fit the 'theme' of the concert we're putting together. Then I compile the list, make the final selection, arrange them in a hopefully pleasing flow and create an instrument assignment list and special concert folder so we all know what we're playing when, and everyone has the right version of the songs we're playing. 

Do you have a signature song?

We have two or three that we play frequently that could be considered signature songs, including America's "Last Unicorn" and Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy" (we love playing this one!). However, I think the best song for our 'signature' song, would be "East Bound and Down" which we play as "Isengard Bound" as it describes the route to Isengard from Bree that we use for our Anniversary Hobbit Runs every year.

What's the highlight of your band's time together?

Playing the mountaintop at Weatherstock last year.

Do you have any stories about a time when things didn't go so well?

Hmmm. There was the time the band leader forgot to load her plug-ins before taking the stage at our first major concert... 

Does your band play a regular concert? If so, when and where?

We play every 3rd Sunday (barring special events like Shirefest) at the Bree Festival Grounds Stage at 1 p.m. (server time) on Landroval.

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed, Youtube channel, or links to any performances?

Several of our performances have been recorded by Hollyberye and can be found on her YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyWrV-dmm_oWHnc50YKSVnA

What's the one thing we should know about your band above all else?

We love playing music! While we use a couple of boxed band alts, the band consists of 9 real people, though a few can't always make it to performances due to RL issues.

Is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your group?

I think I've covered everything, probably in more detail than absolutely necessary!

Rosalie Rumble
Admin

re: Band interviews

Thanks, Halg!  New page posted.

re: Skarn -- part of this well-balanced breakfast

upps! I wrote this weeks ago, but kinda forgot to send it.

-------------------

The genesis of Skarn was a dream Halgoreth had one night, just after he became involved in music. In the dream, he was leading a band (even though, at the time, he had only just recently been invited to join a band, but had not yet actually performed with one…much less led one) playing metal music outside a barrow in Andrath while the undead roamed through the audience.

The strangest thing about that dream was that he did not recall the existence of any crypts in Breelands outside of the Barrow Downs.  The next time he logged in, he rode out to Andrath to have a look and…sure enough…there it was, eerily similar to the one in the dream. After that, preparing the music and assembling a band to create the scene from the dream became an obsession.

To be honest, the name “Skarn” was not our first choice…but „Die Bunten Vögel” was already taken.

probably while dancing

Most of us are Crickets, but we also have a Belegionaire, a Landrover and a Laurie.
 Current Skarnassians include Laaleth, Pelind, Drummor, Thuial, Halgoreth, Celthanesta, Cherinias & Duidhrastir

Folk metal and punk are our mainstays, but we do not limit ourselves to specific genres…nor only to rock (sometimes even a bit of pop, if it strikes our fancy). Our style continues to evolve. Many selections in our catalogue focus instead on Middle Earth- or LotRO-relevant lyrics.
Musical arrangements come from Halg and Thuial.  Lyrics have been from Halg and Celthanesta.

Six times a year, the Skarn Priestess makes a pilgrimage to the Oracle of Orthrongroth to receive the list, which she interprets while in a state of trance, achieved through sacred shamanic ritual.  It is a physically exhausting and psychically draining ordeal that involves three days of meditation, self flagellation, speaking to Tech Support and fasting (she consumes naught but Entdraught and Longbottom Leaf).  She then returns to Neuskarnstein in Ered Luin to present the selections to the band, who already picked out all the songs while she was gone.

Of course!  A different one every show.

That time Drummor left his bagpipes on Saruman's chair, then when the wizard sat down, everyone thought he farted.

Just what are you implying here?

Our concerts generally try to avoid anything that might be considered ‘regular’.

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed, Youtube channel, or links to any performances?

http://winners.Eurovision.éu/Skarn (uh, maybe not)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdit7ICEhs (first concert)
 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/74645089?t=02m44s (somewhat typical set)
 https://barazine.wordpress.com/tag/skarn/ (other shows)

Need? Nah…just listen.

Keli

New pic for Andune

The Andune Ensemble

Keli

The following 2 sections can be updated for The Andune Ensemble:

Every Sunday at 3pm Eastern on Landroval. Usually at the Bree Stage. We are approaching 300 concerts now.

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed or links to any performances?

Not as such though many recent performances are at Hollyberye's Youtube Channel

Calardis

re: Re: Band interviews

Rosalie Rumble wrote:

An Unexpected Melody

-------------------

Well, I used to dwell on a low-populated server where there were hardly any player-arranged events happening. I knew about playing music solo, and I had downloaded some songs that I played now and then, but only after my kin moved to Crickhollow, when the servers where merged, did I see any bands performing. I thought that was cool, but didn't think it was anything for me, until a stubborn musician, after hearing me play solo, talked me into learning how to play in groups. He also taught me to make my own songs. And I had so much fun with it:) I played in his band on Shirefest 2016, and soon after that I decided to make my own kin and band. I multibox one alt, so it's a 2 man band right now, we have performed on Night of the Muses and played some duets at the Yard party on Laurelin a few times. In the future I might recruit more members, and I plan to borrow some friends/band members for this festival to make a better sound.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, haha. I had some different ideas that I played around with, but nothing felt right. Then I happened to see the title of the first hobbit movie somewhere on a website, and the name An Unexpected Melody just popped into my head. It's a fitting name, because I never thought that I would be having my own band.

Well, they are both me, but I pretend they are cousins:) Calardis is from Lindon, and her aunt married an elf from Mirkwood, where young Daneron was born. They have only recently met each other and started playing music.

Mostly pop music I'd say, with some occasional rock, musical or movie soundtracks.

I usually just follow my own mood:)

Not yet, but I've been thinking about it.

Getting invited to play at Night of the Muses, I'd say, it was exciting the first time, when I knew it was being recorded:)

I've messed up my lyrics several times, that is always annoying me:)

No, we don't have time for that at the moment but would like to in the future.

A guild site where I sometimes upload my music. Not much point linking it here though, there isn't much on it:)

Can't think of anything right now:) We are still very new at this:)

Nothing right now.

Gerhalt White Wolf

re: Re: Band interviews

Time to tell something about "Polnolunie"! image

In early 2009 members of the kinship "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (from Russian server Fornost) had the idea to create their own musical band and perform in Middle-earth a variety of music for the pleasure of the venerable public. But before the actual implementation of the idea they had to wait almost two years, when in November 2010 the elf Luksior created a musical collective which became known as the "Orchestra of Brotherhood of the Wolf."

Luksior was not at the head of the band for a long time, he was too busy with other important matters, and soon in February 2011 the head of the orchestra became another venerable elf - Lamengil. It was under his leadership that the "Orchestra of Brotherhood of the Wolf" gave its first concerts. Own composers were not in the band at that time, so the music was played from ready-made music sheets borrowed from the library "Fat Lute".

But in February 2012 it was time for Lamengil to sail to the West, and the orchestra again remained without a leader and conductor. Then the burden of leadership was assumed by Arkefgyrit and Gerhalt. They discovered in themselves the gift of composing music and for the first time the orchestra began to perform music, notes for which were written by the participants themselves. It was then that the band became known in Middle-earth, having given several joint concerts with other music collectives of the Union of Kinships. But soon Arkefgyrit disappeared during the campaign in the Mirkwood, and the leadership of the "Orchestra of the Brotherhood of the Wolf" took over Gerhalt.  

When we began to think about the first big solo concerts, we decided that the name "Orchestra of the Brotherhood of the Wolf" was too large and cumbersome. The competition for the best name for the group was announced within the kinship. More than 15 variants of the name were proposed, three of them were included in the final voting: "Moon Song", "Wolf Howl" and "Full Moon", and as a result the majority of votes received the name "Full Moon" - "Polnolunie" (at Russian, pronounce as "P-o-l-n-o-l-u-n-i-y-e"). 

As I said earlier, "Polnolunie" was a musical group of kinship "Brotherhood of the Wolf", so that most of our musicians were also members of that kinship. But now anyone who likes our music and who wants to play it with us all over Middle-earth can join our band. 

We play first of all the music that we like ourselves, that's why in each of our songs there is a part of us. If we talk about the genre of our music - usually it's a hard rock, but in our repertoire there are a lot of lyrical songs, as well as hard rock versions of famous hits.

Most of our music is unfamiliar to most of you, since these are songs from Russia and Ukraine. But I think that for good music it does not matter as much as where it was created!

In our band music is written by several musicians - mostly Gerhalt and Nordmart, as well as Grombine, Grammulka and Hevie. How do I choose the songs I want to perform with our band? Hearing the melody that I liked - in the car on the way to work, on TV or on the radio, I start looking for something that will help me make the abc for this song. I think that about the same way the other our musicians choose their songs. 

That we will play at a particular concert usually I choose myself, of course, consulting with other our musicians. The choice of songs depends on the theme of the concert or the venue of the music festival. For example, in winter here at Winterfest we played a program of lyrical and slightly sad songs. And for the summer Shirefest we will prepare many funny songs! 

At many of our concerts the audience asks us to perform a song called "Love under the Full Moon" (in the original it's the song "Love Afterlife" of the Russian punk rock band "Sektor Gaza"). We also call it "Skeleton Baby song"! image

I think this is our last year's performance in the finals of Weatherstock on Weathertop! We got there for the first time, it was our dream, and we performed there perfectly, I believe! As a result, in the audience voting we took the fourth place, which was a very big surprise for us, as the music we perform is little known to the majority of spectators.  

I thinks it's our performance at "Wicked Weatherstock Warmup Whoopee" at July 2015 which was held for those bands that did not qualify for the final of Weatherstock 2015.

First, before the beginning of the performance, we found that we do not have musicians of the 25th level and no one can play on bagpipes for which our program was written, and we had to urgently replace it with a clarinet, which reduced the quality of our songs. Then in the middle of our concert I lost the Internet, and the audience had to wait 10 minutes until I could enter the game again. This was our first experience of performing at a big festival, and I think we made the right conclusions and we did not repeat such a thing! image 

Usually we play one big concert a month if not invited to some big festivals. Our concerts take place on our home server Laurelin, usually on Saturdays at 1-2pm servertime on the stage near the "Prancing Pony" in Bree. 

Our group has a thread on the official forum of the game, where we place announcements of our concerts: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?569383-MUSIC-Music-band-quot-Polnolunie-quot-announcements-of-concerts

Our YouTube channel where you can see also our videoclips: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1t5O_aUVtfsH-Q-XUEiJIw

Also I place information about our concerts at my Twitter: https://twitter.com/gerhalt_w 

We love the music that we perform, and we want you to love it and leave our concert in a great mood! 

I think that I already said too much, probably you are tired of reading all this! So just come to our show! We will try not to disappoint you! 

P.S. And a picture of our band (also at Gallery): https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/gerhaltw/album/504839/view/1381003

Last edited by Gerhalt White Wolf on Mon May 15, 2017 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total

re: Thunderstruck

-------------------

Several years ago, as I (Rantingraver) was strolling through Bree, I heard a Dwarf playing a Lute to the tune of a song that I've heard before, but never in Middle Earth.    I was awe struck to hear AC/DC's Back in Black. I was sneaking around in "real earth" when I last heard that song! I suspected that I was not the only one to catch a glimpse of  this "real earth" and the strange devices those people use.  So, I thought to myself "If a Dwarf can learn to play "real earth" music, then why couldn't I?"

I started learning how to play different instruments and songs, practicing when and where I could.   I ran into some big folk, one of which was a well accomplished Guardian named Hilrond (Hilrond-1), who was playing amazingly well. He asked if I'd like to play something, and after doing a Round - Robin kind of thing between him and I, he had another question for me.  He asked, "Would you like to join my band?" After a few days of careful thought, I told him that I would be honored to join his band (Mixed & Matched), now known as "Classical Gas, which  performs  every second Sunday of the month (on Landroval). This left me with a lot of spare time, so I made up my own little band, with Hilrond's blessing.  

Originally the band name was "Rockin' a Hard Place', but I soon found out that there was a band with a similar name, so I eventually came up with Thunderstruck. 

I'm not sure how to answer, except to say that I play mostely 80's hard rock, with a few various older and newer songs mixed in, usually. 

I try to play songs that I haven't played for quite awhile, and hopefully others haven't, but I also have my personal favorites, and so does my normal audience, so you may hear us play something that was played quite recently,  occasionally.  

Thundertstruck by AC / DC of course. LOL

Although, we don't normally start our sets with it, sometimes we do.   

Landroval's Winterfest 2017. Aside from one problem at the end of our set, it went perfectly.

I remember that I had virtually no lag, and there were no mistakes or re-starts. 

I multi-box, so getting all toons to do what you want, when you want, can be challanging.

Again, at Landroval's Winterfest 2017, Mardi Gras Party followed our set and took the stage as I (Thunderstruck) was leaving. Unknown to me, I apparently had at least 2 toons still in place on stage. Thankfully big folk were completely hiding them from view of the audience.  In hindsight, I should have had each exit the game without moving them, but instead, they ran off the stage in full view. I appologized to Kenghis and officials, and when telling me that it was fine, also told me, "It was cute".  

On Landroval by the Prancing Pony near the stables, Thunderstruck plays  a weekly concert on Sunday called "The Rock Heap", starting at 7:00pm (/servertime) for a 90 minute set. Encores usually run at least another 15 minutes or so.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiZ3JLNQQL_tdrlv-DIr_9g 

Well, I multi-box 6 toons normally, while my wife plays Janneane to make 7 for the band. You may think I'm ignoring the audience, but in truth, I'm very busy with setting up for the next song (finding song, selecting instruments and parts, and sometimes finding lyrics).  I usually feel a little self conscious when I can't respond to a 'tell' right away.

I can't really think of anything else, except to say that we play songs that we like. Hopefully the audience likes them, too.

Rosalie Rumble
Admin

If you need to complete a band interview or update one from last year, please fill out the form below or PM me.  If we need a band photo from you, either link to it below or post in our gallery.  Thanks!

-------------------

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: