Site Activity
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Most Recent Images
Site Contributions
Site Contributions

Upcoming Crickhollow Events!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rosalie Rumble's Crickhollow Music Forum Index -> Shirefest Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosalie Rumble
Admin

re: Band interviews

If you need to complete a band interview or update one from last year, please fill out the form below or PM me.  If we need a band photo from you, either attach it below or post in our gallery.  Thanks!

-------------------

What's the story behind your band's founding?

How did your band get its name?

How did your members meet one another?

How would you describe your band's music?

How do you decide which songs to play?

Do you have a signature song?

What's the highlight of your band's time together?

Do you have any stories about a time when things didn't go so well?

Does your band play a regular concert? If so, when and where?

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed, Youtube channel, or links to any performances?

What's the one thing we should know about your band above all else?

Is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your group?

re: Frequency Modulators

What's the story behind your band's founding? >> Mostly like-minded kin members caved-in to my constant pressure about experiencing a whole different dimension of the game... and they liked it!

How did your band get its name? >> Much of the material we play can be heard on FM radio (and as a Maestro user, I am Frequently Modulating those midi files)

How did your members meet one another? >> kin members and a few close friends we actually met at our first visit to 'Bread and Jam'

How would you describe your band's music? >> Mostly Classic Rock, but we also have an extensive Songbook filled with Bluegrass, Jazz, Big-Band, Folk, TV and Movie themes, Broadway tunes, Gospel, Motown, Country/Southern Rock... and LotRO-esque songs too :)

How do you decide which songs to play? >> We've done complete sets of 'Steely Dan' / 'Beatles' / 'Police' /  'Queen' ... those lists are easy to put together... For other events, we try to bring our best to the party... trust me, if my mates don't particularly care for a certain tune, they let me know it ;)

Do you have a signature song? >> it changes depending on situation... if we're not on our home world (Meneldor-R.I.P.) we use Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song".... our dance anthem is "Footloose"

What's the highlight of your band's time together? >> A well received hour show at the Weatherstock Concert Series (Anytime we can muster more than a few players to the same place, at the same time, is a major highlight! )

Do you have any stories about a time when things didn't go so well? >> Way back when our rag-tag team of Minstrels was starting up, we had a date to play for a few hours at a Friend's kinship gathering... we worked very hard to get ready... and they cancelled the party without telling us... we sure did get some good practice in that day

Does your band play a regular concert? If so, when and where? >> we were playing every Thursday evening at 7pm (server time) on Landy at the Bree-land Festival Grounds... we're currently looking for a better time slot on weekends

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed, Youtube channel, or links to any performances? >> you can view our WCS performance on Twitch> http://www.twitch.tv/barafunda/v/7956352

What's the one thing we should know about your band above all else? >>Most of our members are Senior Citizens with the hearts of children. We like to dance almost as much as playing music... almost ;)

Is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your group? >> FM has kinships established on US servers Crickhollow, Landroval, Brandywine, Gladden, Arkenstone and EU server Laurelin... always open to new friends looking for a safe-haven!

Ms. Rosalie, I added an updated photo of our band to gallery if needed... thank you for all your hard work and planning!

Our kinship was formed during the TTHTI and SHIELD runs that former community manager Rick Heaton ran last year. We had so much fun in chat we decided to form a kinship. The band formed after a New Year's party that lasted for six hours or more (and most of that was playing music for each other).

We wanted it to reflect the kinship so we started with 'DHS' and everybody suggested potential band names, then I took a poll. Department of Harmony and Song won the poll.

During the TTHTI and SHIELD runs, and through the kinship that grew out of those.

We play music. Our primary songmaker has very eclectic tastes so our music covers a broad spectrum of both popular and more obscure songs and musical styles.

We make a list of what we like as we test songs, then I put together a tentative list and everybody votes or comments. Then I put together a final list.

We have a couple songs that we usually play, America's Last Unicorn and Baltimora's Tarzan Boy. The first because Skjalden's arrangement is just so beautiful, and the second because it's just plain fun to play! (And so far both seem popular with our audiences.)

Playing the Weatherstock concert series - it was only our 4th public concert and we were terrified (and it went great, so we were pretty high for days afterward...).

We're a very young band. The worst thing so far was when I realized as we got onto the stage for the WCS concert that I hadn't loaded my plugins yet -- panic city, there!

Starting in September we will be playing regularly once a month (probably at the festival stage) on the 3rd Sunday of every month, 1 pm server time on Landroval.

Does your band have a website, Twitter feed, Youtube channel, or links to any performances?

We have a kinship website, dhs.guildlaunch.com. There are recordings of our concert but I don't have the links right now.

We play music because we love it, and band practice is the favorite day of the week for most of us!

Not that I can think of.

Here's a link to an updated band screenshot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7za6oxiecqegmp/DHSband.jpg?dl=0

Toadflax Nosely

re: Re: Band interviews

Rosalie Rumble wrote:

The Traveling Bilberries started as the brainchild of the sisters Aleford, well, for some value of the term 'brain' anyway and they wanted to gather a band of serious and capable musicians who would play quality music and the band should be large-ish, which we all thought at the time meant six or seven musicians though we are eight now and have been nine and frequently have some former band members, the Happyheart Sisters, help at performances and the Alefordses talked to me and I was just learning at the time but know a good thing when I see it and can be very hard to get rid of and I had made friends with Mr. Peppy who is a very capable musician and then the four of us had a meeting and all of us liked the idea and also we thought of some friends we'd like to have in the band too and some of them agreed to join and that was how The Traveling Bilberries began.

The Aleford sisters are out of a family of traveling minstrels and as we are Hobbits how can we have a band name without Food in it, hence Bilberries. Which is a way of saying you need to ask the Alefordses that because the name was suggested to me by Allegretta Aleford.

Mr. Peppy and me met because I had been seeking someone to teach me to be a musician and Miz Toolee traveled to Laurelin and the two of us met and became friends and then the Alefordses decided to settle down and did that at Waymeet but the folks there are such square-heads and the Alefordses felt disliked and so they started showing up at our  weekly Yard Parties at the Bird and Baby and we became friends too and Mr. Peppy knew Mr. Potty and the Happyheart Sisters Linsina and Anerra, well, I knew them too but did not know at the time they were such serious musicians and of course all Hobbits know Miz Acorne who is also my neighbour and Miz Bilbeto hosts the Yard Party and is friends with everyone.

Our music is beautiful and mostly lively and benefits from some of the very bestest lyrics in all of Middle-Earth even if I say so myself. Style-wise it's something of a cornucopia which reflects variances in taste among band members. I have heard it said that people generally prefer the music they listen(ed) to while in their teens and if this is true, then as we for eggsample play music inspired by Duke Smellington, Oink Fluid, Black Salad, Bungo Ferry and Cringe Kimson one may deduce that at least some of us are now far beyond our teens - not that I actually know the ages of the other band members.

Somebody offers a tune for consideration and we try it out and (possibly after a few iterations) then when we are happy with it it goes in our Music Pack. Then when it's an impromptu performance we pull some tunes out of a hat (Potty ALWAYS wears a hat).

If it's a scheduled performance, we tend to designate a playlist maker for this, and we like to rotate this office between band members as our tastes vary and so by rotating we bring forth the diversity within our repertoire.

If we do, it's "Careful with them Eggs, Eugennetta" by Mr. Peppy which is brillant and we have played it at most performances as long as we are enough on that day to play it. But also recently we have begun playing a piece where all of us are drumming and this is very popular both with us and with our audience.

Whenever we perform! It is so eggshilarating! And if I have to pick out a particular performance, then when we had been going for some months and played now and then for 15-20 minutes at a time and it was felt we had so much good material that we would never get to play it all this way and so we did a two hour gig  at Methel Stage and we had a comedian in the intermission and dancers! whom have since been assimilated into the Bilberries as musicians and that was really a glorious day.

Some of us, and I absolutely include myself, do not know to think before we speak and so there have been misunderstandings and even fury! but we have always managed to overcome this by talking things over.

There is no band leader, and I think it would be impossible for us to suffer one, we are individualists and sort of an anarcho-democratic-chaotic-autonomous-silly collective. But appointing one of us in charge for a specific event tends to work well.

No we don't and many Laurelin bands do not do that, but for us it is impossible at least with the full band, as many of us have other duties at the oddest hours and also several of us are engaged in other projects too.

Our Laurelin Archives page which is horribly out of date: http://laurelinarchives.org/node/25696

Mr. Zedrock & his assistant Miz Zygg have recorded several of our performances, here is the Rockfest 2015 one: http://www.twitch.tv/barafunda/v/10390190

Don't miss out on our gigs! We are (censored) good!

So far we are performing on Laurelin,Landroval, Crickhollow and Belegaer and anyone interested in having us play for them should contact any band member, best in our homeland Laurelin.

Also I had better say that I alone am responsible for what is said in this interview.

"If you want badly named scruffy looking files that you download off the internet that you can play with others then go for it." - comment from another hobbit when I was promoting the Crickhollow Music library.
AcorneO

The Maidens were sent out from the Court of Lothlorien to retrieve a minstrel Everdir who had been banished for a year for an indiscreet affair.
Two of us fou
nd him playing music in Bree.   While in the process of trying to convince him to return they began playing music with him.   The rest of us came to Bree at the insistence of Lady Galadriel.   After having convinced him to return home, we met a hobbit lass named Piperia who persuaded us to stay and continue making music in Bree.   Therefore Everdir went back alone.

Everdir called us that since the word Vanimor in the ancient elven language of Quenya means fair folk or beautiful ones.   Hence we became the Maidens of Vanimor.

We were all ladies-in-waiting to Lady Galadriel at the Court in Lothlorien.

A blend of rock, swing, jazz, and progressive rock.    Our motto is 'Expect the Unexpected'.

We try to find songs no one else is playing.   Then after creating our own midis we play them!

Yes.

"Back in Lothlorien" which was originally a song by Genesis called "Back in New York City".   The entire band had a meeting brainstorming exactly how we would change the lyrics to make them more in the style of Middle Earth.

That has to be when we finally felt the love of an audience for our music!    After playing a couple of encores at a concert on Landroval we were followed back to our dressing rooms by many of the audience who completely ignored the fact that there was another band still to play.

So many!
Once, when one of the Maidens meant to wave to a fan in the audience she was overcome with emotion and ran out into the middle of the audience.   Not to worry, Lady Eliesha has calmed down after that.
Also the first time we played "Watcher of the Skies" band members kept getting the music sheets confused and tried to play the wrong song or on the wrong instrument so that we had to restart four times.

We play for our friends on the Laurelin server every other Wednesday at 8:30pm UK time, just south of Celondim in the theater on the hill overlooking the docks.                                  (29.4 S, 92.7 W)

True elves don't believe in such modern technology!       (Several of our performances can be found on Youtube.)

We work very hard and practice very often to bring you music of Quality.

Our band members have come from all over, brought together by our mutual love of making music for you! :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rosalie Rumble's Crickhollow Music Forum Index -> Shirefest Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: